Thursday, February 07, 2013

The History of Classroom Technology


Source: "The evolution of technology in the classroom", by Jill Elaine Hughes
 
I am an old guy, but  I suspect that I am not alone in feeling that I have not used technology well nor enough in my teaching. The UNESCO seminar where I help out has used a video prepared in Paris by the Secretary General of the Organization welcoming the students -- something that motivates the students and conveys something important about what they are studying. But we have failed to use Skype to bring informants from around the world into the classroom. The seminar uses Blackboard for discussions and other functions, but I don't think it has adequately explored other platforms for social networking. Books have been around for a long time, but what if we had texts using hyperlinks and tied to videos for tablets and other computers in the students's hands. I could go on, but you get the picture.

No comments: