Friday, May 15, 2009

"Living abroad gives you a creative edge"

From The Economist of May 14, 2009:
As they report in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, William Maddux of INSEAD, a business school in Fontainebleau, France, and Adam Galinsky, of the Kellogg School of Management in Chicago, presented 155 American business students and 55 foreign ones studying in America with a test used by psychologists as a measure of creativity. Given a candle, some matches and a box of drawing pins, the students were asked to attach the candle to a cardboard wall so that no wax would drip on the floor when the candle was lit. (The solution is to use the box as a candleholder and fix it to the wall with the pins.) They found 60% of students who were either living abroad or had spent some time doing so, solved the problem, whereas only 42% of those who had not lived abroad did so.
Comment: I suppose that living abroad gives one practice in accommodating to unexpected situations and challenging assumptions to find new solutions to day to day problems. JAD

1 comment:

Glenn said...

I guess I am biased because I am American living abroad - but I agree. This is more evidence that supports the idea that diversity improves creativity.....On a different level, living abroad helps you learn as much about your own country as the country where you live. I appreciate even more the American ideals of rule of law and aversion to corruption. I wish other countries could see our postal service. I worry about the American family.