Wednesday, July 08, 2009

"People Sometimes Seek the Truth, but Most Prefer Like-minded Views"

Source: Newswise

Description: "We swim in a sea of information, but filter out most of what we see or hear. New analysis of data from dozens of studies sheds new light on how we choose what we do and do not hear. The study found that while people tend to avoid information that contradicts what they already think or believe, certain factors can cause them to seek out, or at least consider, other points of view."

Comment: I hope that I use much better decision making approaches in important decisions than in trivial ones, Thus I am more likely to seek out various opinions and take into account dissonant information if I am buying a house than buying a snack.

I have taught risk analysis (to adult university students) and I believe that it is quite possible to train people to take information from people who oppose their partially formed views as well as people who agree with those views,

I also hope that we are putting the people who are best at looking at all sides of a question into jobs where the most important decisions are being made. JAD

2 comments:

Glenn said...

Through circumstance, I am conducting an experiment on getting contrary views to one's own. Where I live, the only US news on television is Fox News Channel, which is generally on the other end of the liberal-conservative spectrum from where I am. I watch it because I want some US news on television. I am not sure what should be expected. But I have found that watching Fox News is decidedly moving me to the left, turning me into a raging liberal!

John Daly said...

Perhaps you should get videos of Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC sent to you, almost as far left as I am, to restore your equilibrium.