Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Automated Translation Online

In keeping track of news relating to UNESCO I find a lot written in a language other than English. While Engllish is my native language, I can easily read Spanish and French, Portuguese and Catalan with a little more difficulty, and I can usually get the gist of an Italian article. There is a lot written in German and Russian with respect to the election of the new Director General, especially since there is an Austrian candidate and a Russian candidate, and I can't deal with those languages.

I have been using Babel Fish and Google Translate. Both give rough but intelligible translations. I was even able to get a translation from an article in Bulgarian via Google Translate. The Google translated search is really helpful as I try to look for materials in the Cyrilic alphabet.

What a great pair of resources for bringing peoples and nations together!

No comments: