Monday, September 21, 2009

My family is unusually international

My father was born in Ireland, and lived in three countries. My mother was born in England, and lived in three countries. My son was born in Colombia and has lived in three countries. I was born in the United States and have lived in three countries, worked in more than 35 (I stopped counting) and have spent time in more than 50 countries. My parents' generation have all passed away, but my generation, including first cousins, are citizens of four countries. My cousins and I have lived in seven countries. The Internet has done wonders for our frequency of communication. I have worked for the World Health Organization and the World Bank as well as a couple of Foundations; several of my relatives from England, Ireland and Australia have also worked in international development. I think that background may give me an unusual perspective on the world.

No comments: