Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Quotation: most books are bad!

Matthew Battles in his book, Library: An Unquiet History, writes:
Reading the library we quickly come to an obvious conclusion: most books are bad, very bad in fact. Worst of all, the're normal: they fail to rise above the confusions and contradictions of their times.
He writes that Harvard's libraries contain some 14 million books, and the Library of Congress holds more than 100 million books, adding some 7000 per day. I find it comforting that most of those books are bad and that I am not missing much by not reading them. I also find comfort in the Google's making its ngram viewer available so I can see trends in those bad books without reading them all or even a representative sample.

The problem is that there is so much that I don't know, and so many books that inform even if bad, not to mention that there are so many good books still unread!

No comments: