Thursday, May 05, 2011

Eli Pariser: Beware online "filter bubbles"



I had noticed that Google is increasingly giving me results that I want to click on in the first page of search results. I had failed to realize that everyone gets different results, or that the ordering algorithms tend to reinforce our tendency to cluster together with people who think like we do and read things with which we will agree.

Pariser is right that we need ethical filters, and I would suggest that Google needs to have search engines for different purposes. That is, I want a search engine that links me to basic information (Wikipedia, CIA factbook, etc.), another for things that are fun, another for conservative viewpoints, and still another for liberal viewpoints. It already separates searches for news or long term content, as well as that for video, image or textual content so this should not be too difficult for the Google wizards!

No comments: