Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Crockett fought odds in Washington, too"

I quote from "Crockett fought odds in Washington, too', James R. Boylston and Allen J. Wiener, The Tennessean"
“I am a party man in the true sense of the word,” he wrote, “but God forbid that I should ever become so much a party man as obsequiously to stoop to answer party purposes.” He saw the rise of political parties as a threat to the country, because politicians were bound to become more concerned with the success of their party than the greater good of the country. Like Jefferson, Crockett believed democracy was best served by tying citizens closely to the government through their representatives. He defiantly insisted that “I cannot nor will not forsake principle to follow after any party and I do hope there may be a majority in Congress that may be governed by the same motive.”
My friend Allen alerted me to his article, and I agree completely that today we need the members of the House of Representatives and the Senate to think of the country first, rather than their party. Lets see the debt limit increased and a reasonable compromise on the budget future  now!

I must say, I feel few of our current legislators' names will live in history as Davy Crockett's has. But then few of them are the men that Crockett was!

No comments: