Thursday, August 25, 2011

Boycott Hershey Chocolate

I quote from an email from SEIU describing a situation that I find unacceptable:
Once upon a time, unionized workers packing chocolate at the Hershey company in Pennsylvania made $18 to $30 an hour.

Today, the company relies on a "cultural exchange" program that asks foreign students to pay up to $6,000 to come to America to work for $8 an hour to work at a companies like Hershey and experience what its like to live in America.

Then, when they arrive, "program fees" and rent are deducted from their salaries to the point many are unable to recoup what it costs to obtain their visa.
SEIU is collecting money to support a strike of the current crop of foreign workers.


I propose to boycott Hershey products until this practice is stopped. I invite any readers to join me.




No comments: