Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Perspectives on Watson: Healthcare

I saw the Watson competition with Jeopardy players in which the computer won, having mastered both the interpretation of Jeopardy's questions and its answer format, and having extracted data from a huge body of literature which it could mine to provide answers. I can see some utility in the data mining ability but it seems to me that diagnosis is perhaps a different situation. The issue in diagnosis is I suppose to figure out at each step whether there is enough information to justify treatment and what the next step is in diagnostic tests and procedures. It seems to me that such an approach requires the software to use a much more detailed description of the problem to guide the search than did the Jeopardy system. Still, this is an interesting idea.

No comments: