Thursday, December 01, 2011

Check the Assertions of the Candidates!

Source: The Economist
I quote from The Economist:
AS THIS week’s deadline approached for the congressional “supercommittee” to agree on how to trim the deficit, each party tried to put pressure on the other with claims of dubious veracity. Republicans aired exaggerated figures for the proportion of government spending that is borrowed, ranging from 40% to 43% (the true figure this year was 36.1%, projected to fall to 27% in 2012). John Kerry, meanwhile, said that the bipartisan Simpson-Bowles deficit-reduction plan proposed a year ago would have raised an extra $2 trillion in revenue; it actually predicted just under $1 trillion.
Fortunately there are a couple of organizations that provide a means to find out what misstatements have been made by our politicians:
The K4D in the title of this blog stands for "knowledge for development". My friend Julianne says:
I know many things to be true, and one of the things I know to be true is that some of the things I know to be true are not true.
If what you know is what you have heard from political candidates, then it may be that a lot of what you know to be true is not true. I strongly suggest checking with these sources for candidates before you cast your vote!

I suspect that false knowledge is more of a problem in development than ignorance!

No comments: