Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Orangutan and the Hound



I posted this because it made me feel good and I wanted to share it.

Suryia and (now) Roscoe live at The Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species in Myrtle Beach, SC. Which brings me to the point that a new intergovernmental body has just been established to accelerate the global movement towards sustainable management of the world's biodiversity and ecosystems. The new body is the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES). Lacking a better system to manage ecosystems, we will lose biodiversity and there will continue to be a need for centers specializing in the rescue of individuals from greatly endangered (charismatic) species.
The creation of IPBES, just a few weeks away from the Rio+20 Conference, is a strong signal, and I congratulate this significant progress towards the conservation of biodiversity.
Irina Bokova
Director General of UNESCO


No comments: