Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Part of the explanation of instability in the Caribbean and Central America


“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street & the Bankers. In short, I was a Racketeer, a Gangster for Capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American Oil Interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti & Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank Boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the Raping of half a dozen Central American Republics for the Benefit of Wall Street. I helped Purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American Sugar Interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American Fruit Companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his Racket in three Districts. I operated on three Continents.”
Major General Smedley Darlington Butler
During his 34-year career as a Marine in the early 20th century, Butler participated in military actions in the Philippines, China, in Central America & the Caribbean during the Banana Wars, & France in WWI. By the end of his career, he had received 16 Medals, 5 for Heroism. He is one of 19 men to twice receive the Medal of Honor, one of three to be awarded both the Marine Corps Brevet Medal & the Medal of Honor, & the only man to be awarded the Brevet Medal & 2 Medals of Honor, all for separate actions.

Butler was the author of War is a Racket.

No comments: