Monday, August 19, 2013

We wish the best for Egypt and Egyptians, so let our government take the time to thing through the US position.

According to the poll, 51% of Americans say it's better for Washington to cut off military aid to Egypt to put pressure on the government, with 26% saying it's better to continue military aid to the government in order to maintain influence in Egypt and nearly one in four unsure. 
CNN
I have visited Egypt a number of times and spent months there studying the country. Indeed I headed a study with a large number of Egyptians and foreign consultants reviewing science and technology in the country in order to make recommendations on how those activities might be improved. I know enough about Egypt to know that I don't have a clue how the Egyptian military and caretaker government should act for the best interest of the Egyptians. I also know that I don't have a clue as to what the United States can or should do to improve the situation.

I am glad that the State Department is taking some time to analyze the situation and make recommendations to the President.

I am impressed that the founding fathers put the lead on foreign policy in the Executive Branch, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I am also impressed that the Senate has been specifically designed to slow down the policy making process, on the assumption that the House would be too likely to act too quickly in the heat of  passion.

I am pretty sure that very few of the Americans contacted in a few days by the Pew Research Center have any real appreciation of Egypt, its current situation, U.S. aid for Egypt, or the best thing to do now. 

No comments: