Saturday, December 28, 2013

Interesting view of drug policy by conservative Nobel Prize winner



Milton Friedman won the Nobel Prize for Economics, and is known for his very conservative economic views. I am not qualified to judge his views on the economics of U.S. drug policy, but it seems clear to me that there is something wrong with a policy that puts so many people in jail, yet leaves us with so significant a drug problem.

I do have one quibble. It seems to me that Professor Friedman does not take into account the different susceptibility to addiction in different people. As far as I know, some people will experiment with addictive substance and not become addictive, while others will experiment in the same way and become addicted. You may blame people for the experimentation, but perhaps not easily addicted people for the addiction.

No comments: